This case study describes my design journey in designing a new feature for the CRED app. It was a personal project.
Mobile App Design
Design features in CRED that allows users & influencers to share their favourite Store products.
I started off with some initial research on CRED & its target users which could help me learn more about the app and dig deeper into the problem.
About the App
CRED is a credit card management app which allows users to pay credit card bills and earn rewards.
CRED's Target Users
CRED is a not-really-for-everyone app which targets the top 1% of the population who hold a credit card. The users can list all their credit cards in this app and pay their bills before the due date.
Research on CRED Store
CRED hosts various D2C (Direct-2-consumer) brands in the app's e-commerce section - CRED 'Store'. Users can browse & order their favourite brands from the app—be it headphones, footwear, fashion, or coffee.
On navigating to the Store section of the CRED app, a user can browse through a variety of D2C products and add them to their cart. They can utilise the cashbacks and reward points they have earned from credit card payments to get discounts on the Store products.
CRED promotes Indian D2C brands and has been actively running sales in which it hosts the brands on its Store platform with zero platform fees. It helps the brands to save on commissions, reduce prices, and attract more customers. It also helps the customers as they get better deals and visibility to Indian D2C brands.
Here is tweet by CRED's founder Kunal Shah tweet on introducing the Zero commission store on Republic Day.
I decided to list down ways in which social activities can be introduced to implement this product vision.
Ideating on Social Activities
For users to be able to interact with each other and share products, an interface or platform should be designed within the app. I ideated a lot of potential features through which engagement on the Store products can be increased via social activities:
📄 Creating lists of products
🔍 Searching for friends, influencers, or product lists
👥 Sharing lists with contacts on the app itself
📱 Sharing a product list to other social media apps
🕺 Following favourite influencers & their lists
🌟 Adding reviews, ratings, and comments to products on Store
💬 Sending & receiving messages to phone contacts
💸 Transacting money to contacts via UPI
The number of credit card holders in the country are limited and those who use CRED is a sub-set of them. The users who actively browse the CRED store and buy products is a further smaller section. Ratings & reviews on websites like Amazon & Flipkart are useful only because they have a user base of millions of customers who regularly buy products on their platforms.
I thought of creating user personas to better understand the potential use cases ideated above.
I created two different user personas with different aspirations & challenges. It enabled me to put myself into their shoes and ideate the best possible design solution for their pain points.
User 01 : Arvind
• 24 years old; Male; Software developer in Bengaluru • Holds an HDFC Regalia Credit Card • Uses the credit card mainly for Amazon/Flipkart sales • Also uses the card to buy gifts online for friends & family
• Wishes to get the best deals in sale
• Is a fan of cold-brew coffee and wants to try out best indie brands
• Likes to follow fashion trends that he checks out on on Instagram
• Takes screenshots of online products he could buy in the future but forgets them
• Finds it difficult to decide on a gift for a colleague's farewell
User 02 : Samantha
• 28 years old; Female; Instagram model & influencer
• Has 500k followers on Instagram
• Holds an HDFC Diners Club Black Credit Card
• Uses the credit card for almost all purchases
• Wants to buy the upcoming D2C products for testing & collaboration
• Wants to stay updated on the latest trends in products
• Wishes to share her favourite products & brands with her followers
• Does not have a proper medium to list her favourite products other than Instagram Story highlights
• Does not get enough monetization for endorsing or promoting a brand
Finalizing the features
Saving favourite products in a list
Sharing the list with friends or posting it
Sharing the list on social media
Searching for friends & influencers
Searching for friends on CRED via phone contacts
Browsing through the top lists & trending products
Following a profile on CRED
Sending them a message
Viewing the lists they have created or liked
Texting to phone contacts
Sharing product lists
Transacting money via UPI
And it's a wrap!
This was an exciting project to work on, especially because I have always been a fan of CRED's design.
I also designed a Website for a Kidney Doctor. Do check it out!